How Solar Works?
Our greatest natural energy resource is the sun. The sun will provide more than six billion years of power. Australia has some of the best solar capabilities in the world, which means going solar is the obvious choice for saving energy and the environment.
A home solar system works in the following steps:
1. Solar panels capture energy from the sun and converts it into Direct Current (DC) electricity.
2. The DC electricity from the solar panels is transferred to the inverter.
3. The inverter converts the DC electricity from the solar panels into Alternating Current (AC) to power household appliances.
4. Any surplus energy is fed back into the grid or a solar battery (if installed).
5. Electricity is drawn from the grid when your electricity demand exceeds your solar production.
How can you benefit from Solar?
Helps to reduce your electricity bill?
In the solar hay day customers who purchased solar received generous government subsidized feed in tariffs. Today, many consumers purchase a solar system to assist them in reducing their electricity bill. By purchasing a solar system, you offset the need to draw electricity from the grid. This means you are saving purchasing electricity from a retailer.
Easy to install and maintain
While photovoltaic solar systems are complex pieces of technology, the installation and maintenance of your system is fairly straightforward as there are no moving parts therefore minimal work is required to ensure your solar system is working to its full potential.
Helps the environment
Solar power is one of the cleanest, most viable form of renewable energy available in today’s market. Installing a solar system helps combat greenhouse gas emissions and reduces our collective dependence on fossil fuels.
As solar only works when the sun is out a great option to help get the most from the power you generate is battery storage.
The Clean Energy Council has published a free guide to purchasing solar. It is packed with handy tips ands steps you through the process of purchasing solar.