Solar panels are the best way to reduce or eliminate household electricity bills and a powerful way to protect the planet’s future.
Whilst solar panels will allow you to reduce or eliminate your electricity bill, here are some tips maximise your savings:
- Minimise your use of electricity between the peak sunlight hours of 10am and 3pm.
- When you leave a room turn off the lights – leaving them on unnecessarily only adds to the electricity bill.
- Replace regular light bulbs (incandescent lamps) with compact fluorescent light as they contribute to bringing down your total electricity bill.
- Make use of task lighting, like table lamps, instead of lighting whole rooms.
- Switch off as many appliances as you can when not in use.
- Try to avoid the use of air conditioners favouring where possible fans as much as you can. When conditioners are required, try to lower the settings.
- During winter time, try to let in as much sunlight as possible to reduce the need for heating.
- During summers, use thick curtains and window shades to reduce sunlight. This way, the room temperature will be lower than usual.
- Keep your printer switched off, when not in use.
- In case of frozen foods, take them out of the freezer and keep in the refrigerator prior to cooking.
- Always remember that smaller appliances use less electricity. So, while buying a toaster, don’t buy an extra long slot one if you are not going to use the extra long slots.
- Don’t run the dishwasher until it is completely full, after washing the dishes, let them dry at room temperature.